This page may contain affiliate links to places like eBay and other online retailers. If you buy from a link, we may earn a small commission. Learn more.
What is a Pokémon Booster Box?
A Pokémon Booster Box is a sealed package containing multiple Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) booster packs.
These booster packs typically contain a random assortment of Pokémon cards, including common, uncommon, rare, and sometimes ultra-rare or holographic cards.
Pokémon TCG booster boxes are commonly used for various purposes by collectors, players, and fans of the trading card game.
How Many Packs in a Pokémon Booster Box?
A typical Pokémon Booster Box contains 36 booster packs, but the number of packs can vary depending on the set and the region.
How Many Cards Are There in a Pokémon Pack?
Each booster pack usually contains 10 cards. Older packs from when the TCG was first released contain 11 cards. It’s also possible to find ‘mini booster packs’ as part of special promotions which contain 3 cards.
Should You Buy a Pokémon Booster Box?
Buying a booster box can often prove to be the most cost effective way of acquiring a large assortment of cards. It can be cheaper than buying individual packs, and you’re always likely to get some ‘hits’ from a random assortment of 36 packs.
I’ve never opened a booster box and not got good cards! So whether you’re buying for yourself or as a gift, it won’t disappoint.
The only products I would consider instead of booster boxes are Elite Trainer Boxes, or Special Collection Boxes.
Although these will always contain less booster packs inside, they often come with special promotional cards that aren’t possible to get in standard packs.
This all comes down to personal preference though, and what you like to collect.
5 Important Facts to Know About Pokémon Booster Boxes:
- Random Card Distribution: The cards inside the booster packs are randomized, so you don’t know exactly which cards you’ll receive. This randomness adds an element of surprise and excitement to collecting and playing the game.
- Booster boxes are usually sealed and unopened when purchased, ensuring that the cards inside have not been tampered with or manipulated.
- In addition to collecting, booster packs are used to build decks for playing the Pokémon TCG. Players often purchase multiple booster packs or boxes to obtain the cards they need to construct competitive decks.
- Pokémon TCG periodically releases new expansion sets, each with a specific theme and a set of new cards. Booster boxes are often associated with the release of these new sets and contain packs from the latest expansion.
- Some people purchase booster boxes with the intention of reselling individual packs or cards, while others keep them sealed for potential financial growth.
Final Advice – Buy From Those You Trust
When it comes to newer boxes, you’ll be able to shop at your preferred retailer.
For older, perhaps out of print boxes, you then need to look at sources such as eBay sellers or people in the Pokémon community.
With large amounts of money at stake, unfortunately scam artists are active in the hobby.
Please, please, please always buy from sources you trust.
Look for sellers with large numbers of positive transactions and references. And never do a ‘Friends & Family’ deal via PayPal. Always do ‘Goods and Services’ instead as this gives you protection should anything go wrong.
Where To Go Next:
- Check out my article on the best new Pokémon Booster Boxes to buy this year!